Followers

Sunday 8 April 2012

2nd,3rd,5th and 7th April


MONDAY 2ND APRIL 2012. I put an empty trolley in Tescos superstore in Havant for people to donate tins and packets of food. I did this at Christmas and it was very successful and had alot of donations. The trolley had feed the homeless this easter on both sides so no one could miss it..
TUESDAY 3RD APRIL 2012. Tonight we see TINNY, CHRIS, JAMIE, PAUL, SEAN and IAN.
This evening we are meeting up with Ben Fishwick, he is at university doing journalism. He took an interest in my blog and contacted me to ask if he could do a story. Of course I said yes as I still want to make people aware of the real world beyond our doors.
It was a pleasure meeting Ben, such a nice polite guy.
I picked Courtney up at our usual time and headed to the Hard to meet Linda, she came over by ferry tonight. Linda had some sandwiches given to her by her friend so she brought them along. Today I heated some hotdogs and put them in a food flask but I came across a problem when trying to get them out as I had forgotten to bring a fork, it was so funny but we managed with difficulty with 2 plastic spoons.
Ben met us at the Hard where we met up with Tinny and Chris. Tinny was with a lady friend, she seemed nice to talk to. We gave Tinny and Chris a couple of hotdogs in rolls and some other bits. I got paid on Friday so I was able to buy a few treats as well for them. Tinny had a little chat with Ben which will help with his story.
We all moved on to Osborne road where Ben took us all for a coffee, Paul wasn’t there at that point but when we finished our drinks he had turned up. We fed him and had a little chat with him.
We spoke to Jamie a little earlier on the phone and he asked if we would go round to the house where he has a room, he wanted to show me a while ago but I never had the time. I told him that ben was with us and Jamie said to bring him along as he would like to talk to him about how he went from the streets to his new room and he also wanted to tell him how I still help him until he gets back on his feet. We all bundled into his house and he showed us around, it was lovely, very clean and tidy. On his dressing table was a photo of his daughter, he misses her so much, she is only a toddler.
We left Ben when we finished with Jamie, I did offer to drop him home but he said he didn’t have far to go.
Courtney, Linda and myself then went to Albert road where we see and fed Sean. I was chatting with him when Ben walked past; he said that there was another homeless guy down the road a little bit so we went down there to find Ian sitting there begging. We gave him all that he needed and had a little chat with him too.
We drove Linda back to the Ferry and then went on home.
THURSDAY 5TH APRIL 2012. Courtney and I had a photo taken at Tesco’s with our homeless trolley. Ben organised this for his story.
SATURDAY 7TH APRIL 2012. Went to Tesco’s to pick up homeless trolley. Very embarrassing to say the least. Only 2 tins of soup (of which I put in) 1 tin salmon and packet of super noodles. Looks like im going to have to find another way of donations so I can carry on with helping these guys. Funds are very very low for me at this time but I will get what I can when I can.

2 comments:

sp1984 said...

Hi Jeanette, I think the work you are doing is fantastic, but i have one quick question. are you familiar with the twins who have been begging and apparently homeless on the streets of southsea for about 10 years or more? i dont wish to cause them any trouble as i appreciate that beating an addiction is tough, but am i right in saying that help is available once you are clean? the twins i mentioned are often abusive and there are rumours that they are not really homeless. i am thinking of calling the police next time they hurl abuse at me as it has been going on for far too long! do you have any advice?

jenette said...

Hi sp1984,
I do know the twins, well one of them anyway, his brother i have never met but have heard alot about him. I am sorry you get all abuse from them, i didnt realise they were like that. Ian, the brother i know was the very first homeless guy i met when i started doing this. He has always been very polite and decent towards me and i have never experienced the abusive side of him. I was also made aware that they both had a flat for about 4 years but lost that and ended up on the streets again. They stay with friends occasionally, that i do know but not sure about the other nights. I have kitted them out with duvets, clothes etc as Ian said they were sharing one and weather was worsening.There is help for drug users but the user has to want the help and i know that some people are not wanting the help as drugs are all they know.I cant say if ian and his brother are users, Ian tells me he is not but many people who know them say that they are. As for advice i dont know what to suggest really as all i do is feed, clothe and chat with them all. Please dont hesitate to call the police if it continues. I could speak with Ian if you like to see why they do this?? just let me know, i really dont mind. Their life has been pretty sad, please read all the blogs i have posted as it is almost like a diary/story and you will get to understand some of the reasons why people are the way they are. Ian and his brother have faced alot of abuse and rejection in their lives and alot of the way they are is a cover and protection for themselves. They are probably as scared as the people that they hurl abuse at. I hope i have helped a little. Please get back to me if you need to talk or have any worries. Thank you. Jenette