Followers

Sunday 5 February 2012

Homelessness in Portsmouth..Thursday 2nd Feb 2012


THURSDAY 2nd FEBRUARY 2012. Only see 5 of our usuals today, SEAN, TINNY, CHRIS, JAMIE and we also bumped into STEVE (20th DECEMBER) and JIM (23rd NOVEMBER).
I had the day off work today so I decided to go to central point down Kingston road to see if they knew anything about the whereabouts of Phil and mark. I spoke to a lady who took my phone number and said she will contact me if she here’s anything. I went back home to make a bakewell tart and some scotch eggs for the lads tonight as I promised if I had the time I would make them some. Later on I had a phone call from central point, it was the manager, Leon. He just wanted to let me know that Phil and Mark are both safe and well and also housed now, I was so relieved to here this news. Whilst talking Leon asked me what I do exactly so I explained all to him and said I was independently doing this as I enjoy it. He asked if he could email me dates for meetings and said it would be good if I could attend. I agreed as I would get to meet all that are involved ie. Wardens etc..
It is an extremely cold evening tonight so we made sure we dressed extra warm. Harriet is helping tonight as Liam is doing his college course work.
We went to the hard first to see Jamie and Chris, Tinny wasn’t about at that time, we gave them things that they needed and their food for the evening, they were very happy with the homemade stuff I made. We took out extra coats tonight as the temperature has dropped so much and we gave Jamie a thicker longer one that he was wearing, he gave us the one he had on back to us to give to someone else.
After sorting these two out we went to Osborne road but no one about, we then walked down Palmeston road and we found Jim, he was so cold he could not stop shaking, I gave him some hot soup and food. We also gave him a jumper and couple of t shirts, he said it was more about layers rather than thickness. We got back in the car but I didn’t like leaving Jim in this way so I got back out and took him a coat over which he refused before as he already had 2 on. I eventually got him to put it on, I gave him a hand as it was tight fitting due to his other coats.
Anyway we went on our way satisfied that we managed to put coat on Jim. We went to Albert road and see Sean. As we were walking towards him we noticed he was talking to Steve, a homeless guy whose mother kicked him out because he was gay. Steve remembered us and thanked us for helping him in his time of need, how sweet of him. I asked how he was doing and he told us that his mother has accepted his sexuality but they still have a little way to go to being as close as they were. Steve has now got a roof over his head and is sorting himself out, I offered him some food and soup but he said no thankyou, he wanted it to go to people that needed it as he is ok now.
I gave Sean his food and soup then we drove around for a while to see if there was anyone else around but there wasn’t so we went back to the hard to if Tinny was there. He was , so we gave him a pot noodle as he doesn’t like soup very much. We gave him other food as well and had a chat. He was very cold and said he will be going shortly to find shelter.
After seeing everyone we headed home to empty the car out, were glad to get back in the warm but couldn’t help feeling guilty as everyone tonight was so very very cold. Makes you feel extremely lucky and grateful to have a roof over your head. I hope one day I will be able to put a roof over their heads but I have a long way to go yet but that won’t stop me trying…..
Don’t take life or loved ones for granted, enjoy, love and be happy as you don’t know what’s waiting for you round the corner

0 comments: